Rainbow Version ManagementPlanned
As you would be aware, a new version of the Rainbow Desktop App is now available. But after new SW download, the upgrade fails, as Admin Rights not present to install. Few pointers in this regard.
- Usually, for minor upgrades other similar desktop clients/apps, do not require Admin Rights. Similar issues might occur for many users who use the app in office/enterprise environment.
- If new version is not available, then at least the app should be allowed to open in the current version, which is not the case now.
- Also, the app versions (both for current & latest) are not displayed/notified while opening the app. To upgrade (for example to raise a ticket for upgrade, user might need this information)
I thought these are some use cases which would be helpful to increase the number of active users.
For the Desktop app, there are 2 solutions:
- Be able to run a client app and a server version that do not have the same version ==> too complicate to manage and control; this could work if you stop developments on server side
- Have a full SW installed the first time and then light and automatic updates ==> this is what we are looking for
- First time installation (full SW): will include the Rainbow SW and all Microsoft dependencies. This is mandatory at least the first time. To be done by the IT with their preferred tool.
- Light update (Rainbow SW): end-users (with or without admin rights) will automatically be updated once a new Rainbow version is available. IT will not have to do anything
Best Regards,Comment actions
Post is closed for comments.